February 12, 2024

At approximately 11:00am this morning the Chilliwack Fire Department was dispatched to a reported structure fire located in the 9200 block of Woodbine Street.

Twenty firefighters responded from Halls 1, and 4 and on arrival, reported seeing smoke around the roofline of the home. Further investigation revealed a fire that had started in the kitchen. Initial arriving crews called for a second alarm, and quickly began an offensive fire attack while securing a water supply to bring the fire under control. Firefighters effectively contained and extinguished the fire. The home suffered significant fire and smoke damage.

One occupant was home at the time of the fire, and was alerted to the situation by the smell of smoke. The home did have working smoke alarms which had activated. The fire is believed to have been accidently caused by unattended cooking Chilliwack Fire department is investigating the fire to determine cause.

There were no firefighter or civilian injuries.

Chilliwack Fire Dept. wants to remind the public, the leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking.

Filed under: Chilliwack, Chilliwack Fire Department, cooking, fire, house, house fire, kitchen, kitchen fire, unattended cooking