Chilliwack fire crews were called to a home in the 9700 block of Carleton St around 1:00 Sunday morning. The homeowner had left a pot of oil on the stove, which had ignited and spread to the microwave. When he came back he tried to remove the flaming pot and take it outside, but ended up sustaining first degree burns to his face and both his hands. He refused treatment from paramedics.
The fire department is reminding people to never leave unattended pots on the stove, and if there ever is a fire, don’t try and remove the pot. Put a lid on it and turn off the element.